With Sharon Peterson
Can a tuna casserole recipe really be a family favorite? This tuna noodle recipe comes from my Mother in Law. My husband LOVES it. Add your choice of veggies on the side. (we like frozen or fresh peas). Super simple dinner recipe.
I use homemade chicken broth. Real chicken broth made from real chicken bone is very good for you. I try to substitute it anytime I can. Remember if you use store bought chicken broth it will be saltier than homemade so adjust the salt as needed.
And nothing beats home canned veggies on the side….. well maybe garden fresh does. :0)
You can substitute canned chicken for the tuna if you want to.
- 2 cans water packed tuna (chicken could be substituted)
- 1 quart chicken broth, home canned is healthiest.
- 1/2 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
- 1/4 -cup butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- 1 or 2 shakes of Tabasco sauce
- Optional add ins: Onion, pimentos, mushrooms, red or green peppers, chopped dill pickles (yes pickles- this is our favorite add in!! Try it you may just like it)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups pasta of your choice. I most generally use macaroni. (I may try a carb free version too.)
Cook pasta according to directions on the package:
Make white sauce:
- Mix 2 cups chicken broth and ½ cup flour in shaker container. Or wisk together, blending well.
- Melt butter in medium sized saucepan
- Add flour / broth mixture to butter in pan.
- Bring to a boil, stir with a whisk often.
- When it thickens, add more chicken broth if needed to get your desired consistency. You can also add half-and-half or cream. This will make a creamier sauce.
Drain 2 cans tuna.
Place cooked pasta in a casserole dish. A cast iron skillet works great.
Add tuna, stir in optional pickles, onion, red peppers, mushrooms, or other add ins. We almost always use pickles, red peppers.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and 1 or 2 shakes of Tabasco sauce. mix
Pour white sauce over the top, stir. Gently fold in 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
Bake covered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove the cover for the last 5 minutes, or so. Spread the rest of the cheese to the top to melt.
Serve with your choice of vegetable. Of course I recommend home canned.
We like to serve buttered toast with this. IMHO It is not really needed, after all it is a pasta dish. However, tradition says it MUST have toast. :0) I like happy boys so we have toast too.
Try this tuna casserole recipe next time you need a quick and easy meal.